Contact Us Today!Amalgam fillings (also called silver fillings) were the mainstay of fillings in back teeth from the early 1900’s through 1990. Their continued use has been primarily dictated by cost and ease of placement. Insurance companies have urged the use of amalgam fillings because they require less time to place than composite fillings, therefore the cost is less.
We do not place amalgam fillings at Studio Dentistry. There are several reasons for this:
- Amalgam fillings require undercutting tooth structure for retention…they are less conservative.
- Bite forces weaken the underlying tooth that has an amalgam filling, creating fracture lines that may necessitate
- With time, amalgam fillings become brittle and are susceptible to fracture and breakdown of margins, with recurrent decay occuring.
- Amalgams are a mixture of mostly silver and mercury. Many people are concerned about exposure to mercury.
- Most of our patients demand excellent esthetics.
It was great. Each staff member greeted me and they walked me through the whole office. I highly recommend Studio Dentistry. They are great!!
Before & After
Would you rather just view close-up ‘before’ and ‘after’ photo galleries? If so, select click button below.